The Baldwin County School District is preparing to undergo an AdvancED/SACS Accreditation process. Please find details below.
AdvancED/SACS CASI District Accreditation
Currently, the Baldwin County School District and each of its schools are fully accredited. This means that annually, every public school in Baldwin County meets or exceeds the accreditation standards that support student achievement. From January 25-28, 2014, the school district will host an AdvancED External Review Team to certify our district’s accreditation for another five years.
What is AdvancED (Advancing Excellence in Education)?
AdvancED is the parent organization of the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). AdvancED is dedicated to advancing excellence in education worldwide through accreditation, research and professional services. AdvancED is the world's largest education community, engaging 27,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 65 countries worldwide and educating 15 million students.
What are the benefits of district accreditation? District accreditation is not a standalone process; rather it supports systemwide continuous improvement.
Specifically, district accreditation:
· Enhances a common language of school improvement.
· Ensures collaboration in planning for improvement.
· Provides the school system and community with validation and recognition for improvement efforts and recommendations from an external team of professionals.
· Supports a systemwide approach to achieving results.
· Integrates and supports other accountability requirements such as those mandated by state and federal educational agencies.
How does a district achieve accreditation?
District accreditation requires commitment from the system's leadership and school board. The school system must have in place a quality continuous improvement planning process focused on improving student learning. In addition, there must be a commitment to achieving and maintaining the following requirements:
· Demonstration of compliance with the SACS CASI Accreditation Standards for Quality School Systems.
· Identification and illustration of the system's framework for continuous improvement.
· Evidence showcased of methods being employed to monitor and maintain quality assurance.
An AdvancED External Review Team makes a three-day visit to the school system. The
Quality Assurance Review Team gathers data and evidence during the visit by interviewing a wide range of system and school level stakeholders, as well as visiting schools. In preparation for this visit, both the school district and each of its schools must:
· Conduct and analyze stakeholder surveys from parents, students and certified staff.
· Analyze and summarize student achievement data from state and local assessments.
· Conduct a self-assessment of the current level of performance in regard to the five AdvancED accreditation standards (below).
· Develop an executive summary from the information in the self-assessment.
After accreditation is complete, the school district will submit a progress report in the spring of 2018 to explain its progress in the implementation of the recommendations by the External Review Team.
What are the five AdvancED Standards for Quality?
Standard 1: Purpose and Direction
Standard 2: Governance and Leadership
Standard 3: Teaching and Assessing for Learning
Standard 4: Resources and Support Systems
Standard 5: Using Results for Continuous Improvement
More information on the AdvancED standards are available for download here: